Saturday, November 6, 2010

On being a Knight In Shining Armour......

You might recall some of my deliberations over weapons play
in this post. Its been a bit of an issue working out just how
it sits with me-and how I can balance that with who my children are.

It was after much thought that I decided to get my little
boy a wooden sword for his birthday recently. I guess there is
something mythical/ historical about a sword which somehow
softens the whole thing for me.

His response to it has been interesting. I had visions of the sword
much battered within a few hours, but he has been careful with it.
I made him a cape too and he immediately declared himself a
"Knight in Shining Armour". Although there have been a few
sword fights with his older brother, and(if I care to admit it!!)
the odd head chopped off, the sword seems more a symbol
of power than anything else.






The sword has been put through its paces, as you would
expect any knight's sword to be. But there have been some
outcomes that I wouldn't have initially expected too.
It seems that there are some things that a small boy is
more able to do with a sword at his side. Going into the
bathroom alone when it is dark, was a bit scary before (probably
because of trolls...) but with his sword its OK.



And at night, as well as his two much loved dolls, he also
takes his sword.
I now feel as though weapons are not quite so much
of an issue for me as they once were. Perhaps me letting
go of this, will allow my children to move through this stage
and flow on.
I have also found myself re-connecting with the girl I was,
in middle childhood. A girl who was frankly a bit of a
tomboy herself, quite partial to the odd gunfight or battle.
And -hey- perhaps it didn't do me any harm after all.

No comments: